Education + Human Services

Help Others Succeed

icon of three people for education + human service careers

Are you passionate about people-centered work that transforms communities? You may want to consider building your future in Education + Human Services.

This career path is for those who want to become future educators, practitioners, scholars, community leaders, and change agents. Together, these professionals strengthen communities, address systemic issues, and support others through direct service, outreach, prevention, and advocacy. They are dedicated to the growth, development, and needs of individuals through work that includes teaching, child development, counseling, psychology, social work, social services, speech-language pathology, human resources, NGOs, and nonprofits. 

If this sounds like you or who you want to become, learn how you can move forward to help others.



Recent Postings

Click to view opportunities related to Education + Human Services in Handshake. Customize your filters and learn how to search for UCSB career success!

Line icon

Get Hired: International Education

For complete information on job search strategies, resumes, cover letters, LinkedIn, interviews, and more, review our starter tips to Get Hired in all careers as well as the specialized tips on this page.

Your International Network

One way to begin researching jobs abroad is through networking. Start by talking to anyone you know who has worked or lived abroad and asking them questions about their experience. Next, reach out to professors and alumni to  expand your professional network. You can find many international alumni by utilizing the alumni tool on LinkedIn, using filters to specify major, location, or job titles. 

Another valuable resource for building your professional network is to get involved with professional organizations. Some well-known organizations include the Council of International Schools, NAFSA: Association of International Educators, Council on International Educational Exchange, and The Institute of International Education


Job Search Strategies

There are a number of resources that are tailored to help you find international opportunities. Here are a few tools to become familiar with:

  • CareerJet: Rated as the best overall International Job Search Engine for International Jobs of 2020.
  • GoAbroad: Compares and contrasts different teaching programs abroad, and offers other information similar to GoOverseas.
  • GoinGlobal: Guides people who want to work, study, or intern abroad find opportunities. You can search job boards by specific countries or companies, and they even give interview and resume tips that are country-specific.
  • GoOverseas: Provides information on teaching jobs and internships abroad. They also offer volunteer programs and internships if you want to try living abroad before committing to a job.
  • Green Heart Travel: Helps you find programs that allow you to work abroad. Their programs provide a lot of support, so you never feel alone. 
  • U.S. Department of State: Offers information about teaching in international schools overseas.  

Work Permit Visas

A visa is an official stamp in your passport authorizing you to travel, work, or study in that country for a specified length of time. In order to gain employment, you will need a work permit visa from the country in which you seek employment. Unpaid internships and volunteer positions may or may not require a work permit, depending on the host country's regulations. There are short-term work permit visas, as well as long-term employment visas.

Research the visa requirements and application process for specific countries by checking with the embassy or consulate of the country you will be visiting. GoinGlobal can be a starter resource to help you learn more about work permit visas around the world. 


Teaching English Abroad

Teaching abroad can be a great experience for you if you are seeking an opportunity to learn more about international education and teaching across cultures. This is an opportunity for you to live and travel abroad; it is a popular option for those interested in a cultural immersion experience. 

Did You Know?

You rarely need language proficiency in the country you wish to teach, in order to get a job.

The greatest demand for teachers abroad is for English Second Language (ESL) instructors, but there are also opportunities to teach other subjects.

Typically, the compensation that you receive can help you cover living expenses and perhaps save a little depending on the country in which you are working, therefore, people generally pursue teaching abroad for the experience. 

If you are serious about teaching abroad, research early so you are aware of  the deadlines and requirements for the countries in which you are interested. Each country, and specific teaching opportunity, has  different requirements, thus it is helpful to know what and where you want to teach early on. Some countries have stricter requirements than others, but most will require specific visas to work abroad, which is a tedious process to obtain.

We also recommend that you research the culture, climate, and political atmosphere of the countries that you are interested in before finalizing your decision. You can search for information on GoinGlobal Career Guides and other online resources.

Whether or not you need a teaching certificate will depend on where you want to teach. Research to find the right certificate for where and who you want to teach. Choose a certification program or course that is well-recognized by the country and institution that you wish to teach in.

Here are the most common teaching certifications for teaching abroad: 

  • TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) is for individuals of all experience levels who plan to teach abroad in countries where English is not a first language (e.g. Korea, China, Brazil).
  • TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) is for individuals who plan to teach in countries where English is a first language. You commonly teach in private, native-English language schools in English-speaking countries. 
  • TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is for individuals who are interested in teaching in English and non-English speaking countries. It is used for domestic teaching within English speaking countries, but also internationally.
  • CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is a specific brand of TEFL designed for teaching English to adults, and is sponsored by Cambridge University.

Those who have a teaching certificate and experience in teaching are typically more competitive for the best teaching abroad opportunities. You can search independently for teaching opportunities or participate in a teach abroad program that helps with recruitment and placement. Short-term positions are available, however most require a bachelor’s degree and six-month to two-year commitment. There are various options of programs and opportunities for teaching abroad. Use GoAbroad and TeachAway to find information and job boards.

Here is a sample list of programs to get you started:  

Additionally, you can look into teaching at international schools in various locations by researching regional offerings further.

Envelope icon  Want Emails on This Career Path?

Subscribe to Your Future in 3 Easy Steps


Do you want to receive success tips, jobs and internships, and events for these interests? Go to your Career Interests in Handshake and check the box for Career Path emails on Education + Human Services!

Login to Handshake to subscribe now, or see how to Update Your Career Interests >>

View Email Archive

Login to Handshake, Go to Career Interests, Save Your Selections