Are you a UCSB alum looking to update your email address in Handshake? Follow these steps to make the necessary changes on your account.
How to Update Your Email Address in Handshake
If you are unable to log into Handshake:
- Submit a Handshake Email Update Request to Career Services and let us know if you would like to update your email address. Provide your Umail address as well as the email address that you would like it changed to.
- Career Services will initiate the update process.
- You will receive two emails, one to your Umail address stored in Handshake and one to your new email address. There may be a slight delay in receiving the emails, so please be patient.
- Once you receive these emails, you will have 48 hours to click on the link and verify this email change to update your account. If you choose to do so, you can click Change Email and copy the code included in the confirmation. Make sure you remain logged into Handshake under your old email address in order to make this update. After 48 hours the link will be inactive.
- Once you click Finish Email Change, your new email address will be associated with your account.
If you ARE able to log into Handshake:
- Follow the instruction on the Handshake support document to add your PERSONAL email to Handshake and assign it as a new PRIMARY email address. You will then be able to log in with and receive Handshake emails to your personal email. You can do this at any time from freshman year to alumni.
Possible errors that may occur during the email change process:
Issue: I have received the email but am unable to view the whole email, click on the "Change Email" button, or the page opens to a blank page.
Solution: Please try and open the email up in another updated browser such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Sometimes using another email program can help as well.
Issue: I clicked on the "Change Email" button and enter my email on the following page but get the message "Hmmm... Looks like there is no account on file for..." comes up.
Solution: The new email address does not yet exist in Handshake. You will need to click the "Change Email" button again and enter in the old email address.
Issue: I try to sign in after I click the "Change Email" button but I'm unable to use SSO (single sign-on) and can't seem to use the email and password option.
Solution: SSO is not available to alumni. Look for a link to "use email and password" instead of selecting the SSO option. Use your new email.