We are excited about your interest in hiring Gauchos! We have hundreds of students at any given time looking for full-time, part-time, on-campus, and internship opportunities. UCSB has more than 200 majors, degrees, and credentials offered through five schools and a graduate division. Whether you are looking to hire a Ph.D. researcher, a mid-level manager, or an entry-level employee, our talented students possess the right skill set to meet your hiring objectives.
Browse our tips and resources below to learn more about recruiting at UCSB and our premium recruitment platform, Handshake. We look forward to connecting you to our beautiful campus and helping you find the talent you need for your organization’s growth and success!
- Save the dates for our Spring Job and Internship Fair on April 13, 2022, and our End of Year Job Fair on May 18, 2022
- Explore our cost-effective Marketing ‘Buffet’ where you are able to select the marketing options that work best for your organization
Email Employer.Services@sa.ucsb.edu for assistance with your virtual recruiting plan
Start Recruiting Gaucho Talent
Begin Your Search Today
Handshake is UCSB’s online gateway to posting positions. Every student has access to Handshake and this is the first place they go when looking for opportunities.
Companies who are most successful in recruiting at UCSB are constantly working to build a consistent presence on campus.
An internship program can be a cost-effective method for identifying candidates for full-time hires and interns become goodwill ambassadors for your intern pipeline.
Companies that are most successful in recruiting at UCSB are constantly working to build a consistent presence on campus. Follow the strategies below to ensure you have a successful recruiting experience at UCSB.
Contact us with any questions. The Employer Services Team looks forward to connecting you to our beautiful campus and helping you find the talent you need for your company’s growth and success!
Career Fairs are one of the most effective ways to gain visibility and connect directly with students.
We are anticipating that both of our career fairs will be in-person this spring and we are excited to host you back on campus!
While we are not currently offering the use of our interview rooms for in-person interviews, we are encouraging employers to use Handshake to screen and/or schedule virtual interviews on your organization's video software.
Two Interview Schedule Types are available to employers
Preselect: With this option, students will upload their resumes to a specific job for your review, you will select the students whose resumes best suit the requirements for the job and email them. The student will then sign up in Handshake for an interview time slot (via the schedule pre-determined by you) that is most convenient for them. After the applicant selection process, Primary candidates may begin to take slots during the Primary signup period, followed by Alternate applicants on the Alternate signup date.
Open Sign-ups: Any eligible student who meets the employer’s criteria for a job can upload and submit their resume. Qualifications are established via the preferences on the job posting attached to the open interview schedule. Students that do not match the preferences are marked as Pending and will need to be manually moved to Primary in order to sign up.
Please refer to the Handshake Help Center for FAQs and employer training videos.
Information sessions are a very effective way to connect with UCSB students and you can easily host a virtual session using your conferencing platform.
- In-person information sessions will take place in UCSB’s University Center (UCen). Once you have requested your session in Handshake, we will forward your request to the UCen with whom you will make arrangements. There is a cost associated with hosting a session on campus depending on the room you select.
- Virtual information session requests have increased tremendously over the last 2 years and have proven to be an efficient method to share information with students using your company conferencing platform. Just request the session on Handshake and add your URL when requested.
Note: UCSB's protocol is to accept most information sessions to provide students with access to as many options as possible. However, that does not mean we endorse those sessions or those employers.
How to request an information session
- To schedule an information session, login into your Handshake account and, on the home dashboard, select "Create an Event."
- Enter the Event Name
- Select "On-campus" or "Virtual Session" as the Format. If virtual, you will be asked to add a url to your conferencing platform
- Select the "University of California, Santa Barbara" as your host school and Information Session as the Type.
- Enter the Start and End Date.
- You can add an event branding image with a maximum size of 400x400 pixels, or Handshake will insert your company logo there.
- Please include information regarding what the information session will cover, the types of students who should attend (major, grade level, etc.), and positions recruiting for in the Description.
- Proceed to fill out the additional questions. Click “Save” to request the event.
- After requesting the event, add any attachments such as promotional material to the event overview page.
- Once we receive your request, Career Services staff will review it and approve it. If you are hosting an information session on campus, you will be referred to a staff member at the UCen to complete the arrangements
- Once your event is approved, you will receive an email confirmation.
Advertise Your Session
At Career Services, we will promote both in-person and virtual Information Sessions via Handshake. Some information sessions will be included in our weekly newsletter to students depending on space. We also need your help in advertising your session. Below are additional strategies that we highly recommend to make your session a success:
- A very effective way to promote your session is via a Targeted Handshake Email Blast where we help you target a specific student population with an invitation to your event. We also offer social media advertising (Spotlight Slide) and the option to table on campus in a high traffic walkway among other things. Check out our Marketing 'Buffet' below.
- You have the ability to message students who have RSVPd for your event via Handshake.
- If you have a Premium Handshake account, send an event campaign to students to promote your event.
- You can personally invite UCSB student organizations to your information session to increase attendance. Names and contact information for student organizations can be found on the Shoreline website powered by the Office of Student Life. NOTE: Some organizations have entered their contact information and you are able to send them an email. For those without a contact link, you can search for an organization's website using the name given, or other social media pages where you might be able to find contact information.
Career Services is offering a ‘buffet’ of useful marketing options for your organization to get the word out about your organization and your opportunities on our campus. This process is completely individualized based on the needs/desires of your organization and you have complete control. Options include:
- Targeted Handshake Email Blast
Career Services will send an organization-specific email to the target student group that best fits your hiring needs. Links to your website, program, or position may be included to streamline information sharing.
- Visibility Tabling Event
Set up in a high-traffic student walkway designed to provide you with lots of student access, you can chat with students and share your swag as they walk between classes. We provide 1 six-foot table and 2 chairs.
- Spotlight Slide (social media promotion)
Create yourself or provide content for us to create a social media slide highlighting your recruiting activity. Slides will be posted to our Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter accounts prior to your event(s).
Each activity costs $100, with increasing discounts applied for multiple activities:
- 2 activities 10% discount
- 3 activities 15% discount
- 4+ activities 20% discount
* NOTE: Career Fairs are not included in the marketing buffet options and are registered for separately.
For more information on this or any other marketing needs, please contact Employer.Services@sa.ucsb.edu.
Promote your opportunities to all students by tabling outdoors in a high-traffic student walkway. If you're looking to hire seasonal employees, part-time workers, or have general employment opportunities open to all students, visibility tables can be a great, low-cost option ($100 per day).
We provide 1 six-foot table and 2 chairs during peak traffic times (10am-2pm) on the high-traffic student walkway adjacent to our building. Visibility Tables can be scheduled on Tuesday and Thursday throughout most of each academic quarter, excluding school holidays.
Reserving Your Visibility Table
Request a Visibility Table by emailing CareerEvents@sa.ucsb.edu